In the last fifty years America has rapidly moved away from every Christian belief. So far as I know, Obama is the first President who has publicly challenged the Bible. During the last electoral campaign, he was so zealous to discredit this bedrock of our heritage that he did not scruple to misrepresent its teachings. For example, he falsely claimed that the law of Moses encourages slavery. (For a rebuttal of this allegation, see the next essay.)
Now that our nation has shaken off its Christian heritage, are we better off? Back when Obama took office, I said that God was bound by His own Word to withhold blessing from this man's Presidency. Long ago God declared,
12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.
The context makes it clear that the road of unbelief goes the opposite direction, toward disaster.
10 The LORD bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought: he maketh the devices of the people of none effect.
11 The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.
And indeed Obama's Presidency has been a disaster. Our country is drowning in troubles of every kind. The economy is floundering and will eventually get much worse. God is visiting every manner of natural calamity upon us. Tornadoes, fires, floods, storms, terrible heat, and other plagues have come in rapid succession and at record intensity.
But true Christian faith has never been the dominant world view of America's leaders. Why at this time is God turning against us with pronounced severity? From Jesus' words in Matthew 18 we gain better understanding of our plight.
2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
7 Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!
10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.
Matt. 18:2, 3, 6, 10
Although Jesus especially condemns offenses against Christian children, we cannot escape the implication that He loathes the victimization of any child, for any child is potentially a believer.
We understand now why America is feeling the heat of divine wrath. Why? Because God loves children and America is destroying its children.
- If you are a child in America, you might be destroyed before you leave the womb.
- If you survive until birth, it is unlikely that you will have the privilege of being reared by two loving parents. Even if your father sticks around until you are born, he will probably vanish sometime later and never give you much in the way of loving support. Instead you will have to cope with all those other ne'er-do-wells who will come and go from your mother's life.
- Yet you will be fortunate if your mother sticks around. It is very possible that she too will disappear sometime after you are born and leave you in somebody else's care. You might end up in the home of some distant relative who resents you as a burden. You might even end up in a foster home or institution.
- At an early age you will be plumped down in front of a TV and left there during most of your waking hours. This mindless babysitter will rob you of the physical exercise, mental practice, and social interaction essential to healthy growth.
- Before you are old enough to fully comprehend whether you are a boy or a girl, the media will start bombarding you with sexual messages designed to make you ripe for sexual predators, like the media producers themselves, and to draw you into some sexual addiction that will render you unfit for real love. And the media is succeeding. An average young person today is likely to contract multiple STDs.
- You will be sent to a school that refuses to teach you the 3 R's and instead promotes so-called values clarification, which in essence denies that there are any objective values. So you will probably grow up knowing nothing and believing nothing.
How could anyone wonder why God is angry with America?
© 2007, 2012 Stanley Edgar Rickard (Ed Rickard, the author). All rights reserved.